University of Notre Dame

The Story of Notre Dame
Brother Aidan's Extracts


"Much of this marl was likewise carted from Notre Dame to Mishawaka, and used for fluxing iron ore in the blast furnaces."

Leeper's Footprints, p. 8 (183?)

"White marl on border and entire bed of St. Mary's Lake found nowhere else in the vicinity of South Bend. Farms lime equal in every respect to that of limestone and decidedly superior to it for plastering and finishing coat. Making of the lime already gives employment to many laboring men. 'These persons reside in the many little cottages on the south side of the lake.' Amount made so far is sufficient only for South Bend and vicinity. Chicago market soon to be invaded."

-- Manuscripts, Notre Dame Archives (1850's)

"Mr. Fanchon has succeeded in burning a good kiln of lime."

-- Brother Gatian's Chronicle, May, 1848

"Made lime in quantities but didn't clear expenses. It was only in 1848 -- six years later, they realized this was a sterile speculation. If the small towns nearby grew and Notre Dame can acquire the farm which separated the property of Notre Dame from the St. Joseph River and where lime is also made, the monopoly of this manufacture will be a source of wealth, for lime is a precious fertilizer for the land."

-- Ann. Gen. S. Croix, 149 (1856)

"Decided that lime shall be made by us next spring without any detriment to our contract with Mr. Eaton."

"January 7, 1856: 3-4000 bricks should be made on our land.

"October 23, 1856: Mr. Young engaged to introduce lime to Chicago.

"February 9, 1857: Lime to be sold at 25 cents a bushel in South Bend.

"Much of this marl (Rush's) was likewise carted to Mishawaka, and used for fluxing iron in the blast furnaces." Leeper

"3-4000 bricks shall be burned this year by us and provision shall be made to begin the building of a house for the Sisters at St. Mary's and as many Brothers as possible shall be employed in our own lime yard."

-- Local Council March 8, 1858

"Lime should be furnished at current rates for the jail in South Bend."

-- Local Council December 10, 1860

"A great quantity of bricks shall be made this year and consequently a new gang of men engaged to have 300,000 burnt by August 15th. Our lime will be furnished at 22 cents a bushel. Six Brothers and four laymen will be assigned to the lime yard."

-- Local Council (1856)

"Marl was recommended again as the best manure to improve our land."

-- Local Council August, 1856

"The offer of Miller and Company to contract for marl at 10 centsa barrel was not accepted. The Council favors the manufacture of Portland cement by ourselves."

-- Local Council August 16. 1878

"A contract for the marl on one acre of land near the river is to be made with the Stone Pipe Manufacturing Company, South Bend, on the best terms obtainable."

-- Local Council November 19, 1880

"The little marsh behind the lime yard shall be prepared for cranberries."

-- Local Council June 30, 1862

"Lime shall be sold at 30 cents a bushel.

"A contract shall be made for making 800.000 to 1,000,000 bricks at $4 per thousand.

"The bricks shall be made by ourselves under the supervision of Brother Anastasius." Local Council October 19, 1863

"Discussed making of 1,000,000 bricks for next year. November 17, 1863

"No more that 500,000 bricks will be made this year. June 10, 1864

"Lime shall be sold for 50 cents a bushel at retail, and 40 cents when the number of bushels bought exceeds 500." Local Council July 18, 1864

"Mr. Kavanagh's proposal to make 500,000 bricks at $5.75 a thousand and furnish tools and implements was accepted." December 18, 1869

"Lime yard will be let to Mr. McCabe for 12.5 cents a bushel. Notre Dame furnishes everything." December 18, 1869

"700,000 bricks to be made next season." November 10, 1871

"Contract for these to be made with McCabe and Kavanagh."

"Sorin said that someone should go to Chicago and examine the new machinery then in operation in brick making." December 16, 1872

"The Superior General was of the opinion we should make more bricks on our own property. December 17, 1872

"Marl deposit furnished the carbonate of lime material for the first, and more than twenty years, the only Portland cement factory in Indiana. Marl extends back several rods from the shore. Marl 30 feet thick under both lakes.

Howard, 18, 19

"100,000 bricks to be made by Mr. Kavanagh at $7.25 per thousand."

-- Local Council December 20, 1872

"Decided to contract sale of marl to the Stone Manufacturing Co. by the load or square yard instead of by the acre."

-- Local Council November 10, 1882

"The contract with the St. Joseph Cement Company for taking marl from St. Mary's Lake is allowed to be renewed for three years."

-- Local Council April 9, 1897

"Plaster shall be bought for $10 to be spread over our corn and clover. Marl and ashes shall be tried for the same purpose."

-- Local Council May 14, 1897

"It was decided to accept the offer of the Stone Pipe Company to rent one acre of land for marl at $500 for 3 years."

-- Local Council November 26, 1880

"It was decided to make a new contract with the South Bend Cement Company by which we are allowed 4 cents a barrel on all cement manufactured and limit the territory from which the marl shall be taken. Contract good for three years."

-- Local Council September 5, 1890

"Mr. Taggert's application to get marl from our lake was approved and a contract made." Local Council June 29, 1894

‹— Brother Aidan's Extracts —›