pg 104 2. St. Mary's, Kentucky To take up the history of this affair from the beginning, we must go back to the month of January, 1846. At the departure of the Jesuits from Kentucky. Mgr. Chabrat wrote to F. Sorin, offering him this institution, which was to be left vacant in some months. After communicating the affair to the council he answered the Bishop that he thought he could accept St. Mary's to establish there a school of English, perhaps a Brothers' novitiate, and a school of arts and trades; on condition, however, that the property just as it was (that is to say, four hundred acres of excellent land on which the Jesuits, according to the Bishop, had just spent $50,000.00 and whose buildings could lodge three hundred persons) should be given to the Society of Holy Cross, and that His Lordship would do his best to form at St. Mary's a central novitiate for the United States, sanctioned by all the Bishops of the Union. He added that he was on the point of embarking for France, where he did not doubt that he could have this matter approved, if this pleased His Lordship.