University of Notre Dame

Chronicles of Notre Dame du Lac
Edward Sorin, CSC -- Translated by John M. Toohey, CSC, 1895
pg 282       four Sisters of Holy Cross have just opened a young ladies' 
             academy under the direction of the V. R. Mr. O'Reilly; that of 
             Buffalo, whither four Brothers and three Sisters were sent about 
             the middle of November to take charge of an orphan asylum under 
             the patronage of the saintly Bishop Timon; finally that of 
             Columbus, where it was thought more prudent to put only one 
             Brother at the start, although everything is in readiness for an 
             addition next year; the growth of the college, the number of whose 
             students went up to one hundred and forty boarders; the 
             development of the three novitiates, which at the end of the year 
             had their full number, although there were more members than ever 
             before admitted to the taking of the habit during the year.
                  On the other hand the good spirit of the house; the perfect 
             union, not only of the three communities, but of the individual 
             members of each society amongst themselves; the consideration 
             enjoyed by the house in the neighborhood; finally the erection, so 
             much desired, of a monument to the dear F. Cointet in the shape of 
             a lateral chapel added to the church of the Sacred Heart, followed 

‹—  Sorin's Chronicles  —›