1845-1978Origination : Catholic Church. Archdiocese of Chicago (Ill.)
Collection was begun by James Edwards in the 1890s. Photostats of the letters to Edward Sorin are from the archives of the Indiana Province of the Congregation of Holy Cross. The O'Regan exegesis was a gift of James J. McGovern. Copies of School Board records were made by permission of the Archdiocesan School Office in 1978. Media Center material came from the Archdiocesan Archives.
Archdiocese of Chicago Collection (ACH), University of Notre Dame Archives (UNDA), Notre Dame, IN 46556
Records of the Archdiocesan School Board (1968-1978) and material from the Archdiocesan Media Center and Justice Lending Library; occasional letters from Bishops Quarter, Van de Velde, O'Regan, Duggan, Foley, Feehan, and Quigley, and from Auxiliary Bishop Alexander J. McGavick and Bishop John McMullen, vicar general (1877-1879) and administrator (1879-1880) of the diocese; manuscripts by Bishop O'Regan, including a sermon on Immaculate Conception and a Biblical exegesis; and photostats of letters from Chicago received by Edward Sorin, CSC; pamphlets, parish histories, clippings, and material on the Catholic contribution to the World's Columbian Exposition of 1893.
The Diocese of Chicago was created in 1843 with William Quarter as its first bishop. Quarter was succeeded in 1848 by James Oliver Van de Velde; in 1854 by Anthony O'Regan; in 1859 by James Duggan and Thomas P. Foley, who served as coadjutor to the mentally incapacitated Duggan from 1870-1879. Chicago was then raised to an archiepiscopal see and Patrick A. Feehan was consecrated archbishop in 1880.
Feehan's successors in the 20th century were James Edward Quigley (1903-1915), George William Mundelein (1916-1939), Samuel Alphonsus Stritch (1940-1946), Albert Gregory Meyer (1946-1965), John P. Cody (1966-1982), Joseph Bernardin (1982-1996), and Francis George (1997- ).