1815-1963 (bulk 1815-1885)Origination : Catholic Church. Archdiocese of Cincinnati (Oh.)
Correspondence consisting chiefly of letters received by Bishops Edward Dominic Fenwick, O.P., and John Baptist Purcell, and representing also the first two years of the episcopacy of Archbishop William Henry Elder. Correspondents include Sylvester H. Rosecrans, who served as auxiliary bishop from 1862 to 1868; priests of the diocese; Fathers Stephen T. Badin and Edward Sorin, C.S.C.; and many members of the American hierarchy. Also miscellaneous related material, 1815-1885, including two Papal Bulls by Pius VII and Pius IX; and printed material, "Communications from the Archdiocese of Cincinnati," including the Clergy Bulletin, 1933-1963. Documents dating 1815-1843 have been microfilmed.
Edward Dominic Fenwick, O.P., served as a missionary in the region before he became the first Bishop of Cincinnati with establishment of the diocese in 1821. John Baptist Purcell became the second Bishop of Cincinnati on 12 May 1833. Cincinnati became a metropolitan see in 1850, and Purcell became archbishop. The diocese grew tremendously during Purcell's episcopacy, but his years as bishop were marred by the failure of "Father Purcell's Bank" in 1873 and the ensuing scandal. William Henry Elder's task, first as co-adjutor and after 1883 as archbishop, began in 1880 with attempts to restore confidence and repair damages in the diocese.