1793-1957.Origination : Catholic Church. Archdiocese of Philadelphia (Pa.)
Several items were gifts from Mr. Frank Reuss and Bishop Ignatius Horstmann to James Edwards.
Archdiocese of Philadelphia Collection (APH), University of Notre Dame Archives (UNDA), Notre Dame, IN 46556
Letters, pamphlets, clippings and manuscripts of speeches and sermons, with material concerning a riot in 1844 over the version of the Bible to be used in public schools, the Eucharistic Convention held in Philadelphia in 1899 sponsored by the Priests' Eucharistic League, and the American Catholic Historical Society of Philadelphia. Correspondents include the prelates of the diocese in the 19th century and laymen.
Also typed copies and photostats of German letters, 1891- 1892, from Msgr. Joseph Schroeder, professor of Dogmatic Theology, Catholic University, to Father Herman Joseph Heuser, professor at St. Charles Seminary, Overbrook, Pennsylvania, assistant editor of the American Catholic Quarterly Review; manuscript drafts of speeches and sermons by Archbishop Ryan; and a manuscript copy of Bishop Henry Conwell's summons to Rome.
In English and German.
The diocese of Philadelphia was created in 1808 with Michael Egan, OFM, pastor of St. Mary's Church, as the first bishop. A controversy over trusteeism had embroiled St. Mary's parish since 1796 and would continue to mar the episcopacies of Egan (1810-1814), Henry Conwell (1820-1830), and Francis Patrick Kenrick (1830-1851).
Before it was raised to an archiepiscopal see, John Nepomucene Neumann served as its fourth (1852-1860) and James Frederick Wood as its fifth (1860-1875) bishop. Wood served as first archbishop of the metropolitan see (which covered the entire state of Pennsylvania) until his death. Patrick J. Ryan, coadjutor bishop of St. Louis, succeeded Wood (1884-1911).