1847-1939.Origination : Catholic Church. Diocese of Richmond (Va.).
Microfilm made from papers sent to the University of Notre Dame Archives in 1947 by Bishop Ireton to be cataloged and filmed. The papers were then returned to the Diocese of Richmond together with positive copies of the film.
Permission to use the films may be obtained from the Chancery Office, Diocese of Richmond.
Diocese of Richmond Collection (DRI), University of Notre Dame Archives (UNDA), Notre Dame, IN 46556
Transcripts of letters received by Bishops Richard Vincent Whelan and John McGill (1847-1859); a manuscript book by Bishop McGill containing essays on the Catholic version of the Bible, the inquisition, the spirituality of the soul, free will, the Edict of Nantes, Switzerland, the origin of the Swiss confederation, the Swiss reformation, Zwingle, and pseudo-sacred books; microfilm of records in the Diocesan Archives in Richmond, 1850-1939, including correspondence of Bishops McGill, James Gibbons, John Joseph Keane, Augustine Van de Vyver, Denis Joseph O'Connell, and Andrew J. Brennan with Archbishop John Ireland, Abbe Felix Klein, Bishop James Gibbons, John Zahm, CSC, and others.
The Diocese of Richmond, a suffragan of the metropolitan see of Baltimore, was erected in 1820. Patrick Kelly served as first bishop until 1822. From 1822 to 1841, the diocese reverted to the administration of the Archbishop of Baltimore.
Richard Whelan served as second bishop of Richmond from 1841 to 1850. He was succeeded by John McGill, 1850-1872; James Gibbons, 1872-1878; John J. Keane, 1878-1888; Augustine Van de Vyver, 1889-1911; Denis J. O'Connell, 1912-1926; and Andrew J. Brennan, 1926-1945.