1929-1993.Origination : Anthony Lauck
Graduate student papers closed.
Anthony Lauck, C.S.C.
Anthony Lauck Papers (LAU), University of Notre Dame Archives (UNDA), Notre Dame, IN 46556
Papers dating from 1929 through 1993, collected by Anthony Lauck, C.S.C., relating to:
Anthony Lauck, C.S.C.; Catholic priest; sculptor; member and department chairman of University of Notre Dame Department of Art; director of University Art Gallery at the University of Notre Dame. Born 1909 in Indianapolis; earned diploma from John Herron Art School in Indianapolis before advanced studies at the Cranbrook Academy, Columbia University, Corcoran School of Art, Syracuse University; joined Congregation of Holy Cross as postulant in 1937, ordained a priest in the same order in 1946. Joined art department at the University of Notre Dame as faculty member in 1950; was head of Art Department from 1960-1967 and first 'professional' director of Notre Dame Art Gallery (later Snite Museum of Art) from 1962 until 1977, when he retired. Made numerous visits to New York and Chicago to solicit donations and funds for Notre Dame Art Gallery from 1960s until 1990s. Artwork and sculptures featured in numerous museums and locations, including at the University of Notre Dame; statue of Our Lady in 'Main Circle', statue of St. Andre Bassette in Basilica of Sacred Heart; stained glass windows in Moreau Seminary chapel; Notre Dame presidential ceremonial mace, and others. Member of Indiana Academy, Indiana Governor's Fine Art Commission, nominating committee for Midwest College Art Conference, Newport Art Association, and others; conducted solo and joint exhibits, served on juries, gave lectures across nation from 1930s until 1990s.