1822-1930.Origination : Society for the Propagation of the Faith.
The papers of the Lyons Council are now housed in the Society's archives in Fribourg, Switzerland.
Microfilm obtained by Thomas McAvoy, CSC, in the 1960s from the Archives of the Society for the Propagation of the Faith.
Society for the Propagation of the Faith Records (PFP), University of Notre Dame Archives (UNDA), Notre Dame, IN 46556
Letters, 1828-1930, from the United States to the central council at Paris (27 reels of microfilm) arranged by diocese; and letters to and minutes of the central council at Lyons, 1822-1900, arranged chronologically (15 reels of microfilm).
Correspondents include many members of the American hierarchy, among them Joseph Sadoc Alemany, August M. Blanchet, Francis Norbert Blanchet, Timothy Corbett, Joseph Fréri, Henry Granjon, John Baptist Lamy, Joseph P. Macheboeuf, Augustus M. Martin, John C. Neraz, Michael O'Connor, John M. Odin, John Baptist Purcell, Louis A. Rappe, John Baptist Salpointe, Rupert Seidenbusch, John Timon, John M. P. Augustine Verot, Richard V. Whelan, and Joshue M. M. Young, and priests, among them Marc Antony Frenaye, Samuel Mazzuchelli, OP, Basil Anthony Moreau, CSC, B.S. Piot, and Edward Sorin, CSC.
Also typewritten translations of correspondence (1868-1882) of James Gibbons, Mark S. Gross, Henry P. Northrop, and John J. Keane to directors of the Society for the Propagation of Faith (Paris) describing the difficulties of the missionary task in North Carolina, asking for assistance, and discussing Catholic missions to American Blacks.
Association for the assistance of Catholic missionary activity in non-Catholic countries founded in 1822, administered until 1922 by central councils in Lyons and Paris. In 1922 the society was brought directly under the authority of the Sacred Congregation for the Propagation of the Faith in Rome.
The official organ of the society, Annales de la Propagation de la Foi, contained letters from missionaries, mission news, and financial reports. The society also published an illustrated magazine, Les Missions Catholiques.