Notre Dame Archives
Charles Warren Stoddard Papers
Charles Warren Stoddard Papers
Origination : Stoddard, Charles Warren, 1843-1909.
Extent : 1 linear foot. 3 reels of microfilm.
University of Notre Dame Archives
Notre Dame, Indiana 46556
Microfilm of "School Days at Notre Dame" was obtained from the Monterey Public Library, Monterey, California, in 1964.
Charles Warren Stoddard Papers (STO),
University of Notre Dame Archives (UNDA), Notre Dame, IN 46556
Scope and Content
Diaries, 1884-1885; correspondence, 1870-1908, including a letter concerning religion from Samuel L. Clemens (Mark Twain), 1 June 1885; manuscripts of Stoddard's work such as For the Pleasure of His Company, "St. Anthony, Wonder Worker of Padua," and "School Days at Notre Dame, 1885-1886"; and articles about Stoddard. Correspondents include Theodore F. Dwight, Daniel Hudson, CSC, William H. Rideing, and Richard Henry Savage.
Diaries also available on 3 reels of microfilm.
Author and professor of English, University of Notre Dame,
Twain, Mark, 1835-1910.
Dwight, Theodore, 1764-1846.
Hudson, Daniel, E. (Daniel Eldred), 1849-1926.
Rideing, William H. (William Henry), 1853-1918.
Savage, Richard, 1846-1903.
University of Notre Dame.
Stoddard, Charles Warren, 1843-1909.
Journalists -- Biography.
Catholic authors -- Biography.
CSTO 1/32 Folder : Notes on the life of C.W.Stoddard- author unknown 1927/1227
CSTO 1/33 Folder : Poem- "From the Heights" by John Boyle O'Reilly
CSTO 1/34 Folder : Note about the Ave Maria and C.W. Stoddard
CSTO 1/35 Folder : Articles and Manuscripts by Charles Phillips
CSTO 1/36 Folder : Two Quarterly Examination "blue books" (blank)
CSTO 1/37 Folder : Correspondence between C.D. Terry and J.F. O'Hara concerning Stoddard material
CSTO 1/38 Folder : Miscellaneous
CSTO 1/39 Folder : Manuscript of For the Pleasure of His Company- Chapters 1-15 (typed)
CSTO 1/40 Folder : Mss of For the Pleasure of His Company- Chapters 16-21 (typed)
CSTO 1/41 Folder : Manuscript of Saint Anthony, Miracle Worker of Padua
MSTO Charles Warren Stoddard: Microfilm
- CSTO Charles Warren Stoddard: Manuscripts
- CSTO 1/01 Folder : Diary- Honolulu, Vol. XI, March 8 to April 17, 1884
- CSTO 1/02 Folder : Diary- Honolulu, Vol. XII, April 16 May 16, 1884
- CSTO 1/03 Folder : Diary- Waihee, Vol. I, May 18 to June 2, 1884
- CSTO 1/04 Folder : Diary- Waihee, Vol. II, June 3 to June 19, 1884
- CSTO 1/05 Folder : Diary- Waihee, Vol. III, June 21 to July 19, 1884
- CSTO 1/06 Folder : Diary- Honolulu, Vol. IV, July 20, to August 8 and October 3, 1884
- CSTO 1/07 Folder : Diary- Honolulu, October 6 to February 17, 1885
- CSTO 1/08 Folder : Charles W. Stoddard- School Days at Notre Dame 1885-1886
Typewritten transcription of diaries on reels two and three of our microfilm.
- CSTO 1/08 Document : Vol. I: February 18 to April 14, 1885
- CSTO 1/08 Document : Vol. IV: October 3, 1885 to February 12 1885-1886
- CSTO 1/09 Folder : Microfilm Corrections: School Days at Notre Dame 1885-1886
- CSTO 1/11 Folder : Letters to Stoddard 1867-1889
- CSTO 1/12 Folder : Letters to Stoddard 1890
- CSTO 1/13 Folder : Letters to Stoddard 1891
- CSTO 1/14 Folder : Letters to Stoddard 1892
- CSTO 1/15 Folder : Letters to Stoddard 1893
- CSTO 1/16 Folder : Letters to Stoddard 1894
- CSTO 1/17 Folder : Letters to Stoddard 1895
- CSTO 1/18 Folder : Letters to Stoddard 1896
- CSTO 1/19 Folder : Letters to Stoddard 1897
- CSTO 1/20 Folder : Letters to Stoddard 1898
- CSTO 1/21 Folder : Letters to Stoddard 1899
- CSTO 1/22 Folder : Letters to Stoddard 1905
- CSTO 1/23 Folder : Letters to Stoddard 1906
- CSTO 1/24 Folder : Letters to Stoddard 1907
- CSTO 1/25 Folder : Letters to Stoddard 1908
- CSTO 1/26 Folder : Letters to Stoddard nd
- CSTO 1/27 Folder : Manuscript for A Summer's Cloud in Bohemia- Chapters 1-6 (Chapter 2 is missing)- handwritten
- CSTO 1/28 Folder : Manuscript for A Summer's Cloud in Bohemia- Chapters 7-21 (Pages missing in Chapters 8 and 21)- handwritten
- CSTO 1/29 Folder : Manuscript of For the Pleasure of his Company (typed)
- CSTO 1/30 Folder : Article on C.W. Stoddard by Charles Phillips 1908/0208
- CSTO 1/31 Folder : "The Story of a Controversy" by Hilaire Belloc 1927/07
- CSTO 1/31 Title : Columbia, 1927/07
Diaries of Charles Stoddard (1843-1909), world traveller, author, and professor of English at Notre Dame, 1885-1887. Diaries recount Stoddard's life as a Notre Dame professor in 1885, including mention of Fr. Walsh, Brownson, Sorin, Scholastic (at 075), daily routine and events, and music on campus. Also included are Stoddard's diaries of his travels in the pacific islands during the 1880s. Notre Dame diaries ("School Days at Notre Dame") do not duplicate material in Charles W. Stoddard manuscript collection (CSTO) except in the sense that there is a typewritten transcription of them there.
- MSTO 1 Diaries
"Bungalow series, vol XI" March - April 1884, written at Honolulu, H.I.; diaries from Maui (?), "Waihee, vol. I" May - June 1884 begins at 041; "Waihee vol II" June 1884 begins at 047; "Waihee vol. III" June - July 1884 begins at 053; "Waihee vol. IV" July - October, 1884, begins at 059, but it is datelined Honolulu; "Honolulu" October 1884 - February 1885 begins at 062, and was mostly written on Molokai; biographical note at the end re "J. Damien cath pr." at 083.