1788 Oct. 25 |
Miro, Estevan, (governor of Louisiana)
to Father Antonio de Sedella, auxiliary vicar
The epidemic which has raged especially during the last three months and which has resulted from the fire of Mar. 21 last and the overflow (of the river) has attracted the attention of the public and the evil odor coming from the cemetery has stirred his own zeal for the royal order of Apr. 3, 1787 concerning the construction of cemeteries. Fortunately, public opinion not being influenced this time by the prejudices usual in a matter of this kind, agrees that the cemetery be removed. The doctors unanimously agree that the public health will not be good until the cemetery is located as far as possible from the city. Therefore, the municipal council has decided that a new cemetery be started outside the city and behind the Charity Hospital. This is to serve as a provisional cemetery and the old is not to be destroyed till the reception of the royal approval. He has no doubt but that he (Sedella) will agree perfectly with all this, for the reasons given and above because of the above-mentioned royal order of which states that cemeteries are to be outside of towns. He expects an answer which will immediately start the work.
IV-4-c A.L.S. 7pp. 8vo. (Spanish)
<< back ======= next >>
= HELP =