about the archives
information for researchers
about our collections
search our collections
records management
research resources
line spacer
site map
contact us
line spacer
archives home
notre dame home

Online Exhibits > Notre Dame Campus in the 19th Century


Corby Hall

Excerpt from Notre Dame -- One Hndred Years / by Arthur J. Hope, C.S.C.

What is now known as Corby Hall was built during the spring of 1895. It was intended primarily as a dwelling for the priests engaged in teaching at the University. It was called the "Professed House." Its first inhabitants, however, were some of the numerous guests that flowed into Notre Dame for the Jubilee. After the tumult and the shouting had died down, the members of the community moved in. By 1899 the student body had grown to such an extent that the community members had to vacate Corby Hall to make room for the students. Like Sorin Hall, Corby Hall provided private rooms for older students, in accordance with the more liberal view that had come to be held at Notre Dame.