about the archives
information for researchers
about our collections
search our collections
records management
research resources
line spacer
site map
contact us
line spacer
archives home
notre dame home

Online Exhibits >Notre Dame Campus in the 19th Century



Excerpt from Notre Dame -- One Hundred Years / by Arthur J. Hope, C.S.C.

The Manual Labor School was situated on the west side of Notre Dame Avenue just in front of the college entrance. In 1886 it was moved, on wheels, west of the college grounds and near the farmhouse. The carpenter, blacksmith, and paint shops which were opposite the Manual Labor School on the same side of Notre Dame Avenue were likewise moved to new locations. The removal of the buildings permitted Brother Peter and the surveying class to lay out a park and garden in front of the Main Building.