In 1871 the cornerstone for the church of Our Lady of Sacred Heart was laid. The longer name first selected for the new Notre Dame church was later shortened to Sacred Heart. By the decree of Pope John II, the Vatican named this second church built at Notre Dame a minor basilica on November 23, 1991. The church can now use the title Basilica of the Sacred Heart.
© 2001 by Robert F. Ringel.
All rights reserved.