In 1882 it was decided to build what is now known as Science Hall. Edbrooke, the architect for the Main Building, was retained to design the new structure. Work was begun early in 1883, and on June 20th of that year Bishop Watterson of Columbus blessed the cornerstone as part of the commencement exercises. It is of interest to note that that cornerstone was the gift of John B. Cassidy of the class of 1865, the first student to receive the degree of Bachelor of Science from Notre Dame.
The building itself was the fruit of Father Zahm's careful study. Zahm provided for things scientific on a grand scale for those days. He saw to it that laboratories were provided for physics, chemistry, botany, physiology, zoology, geology, mineralogy, mechanical engineering, and photography. There were also numerous class-rooms. In the centre of the building, and running two stories in height, was the museum for the display of various scientific specimens. Today that old building stands pretty much as it was then built, with the exception that it has received an addition at the rear for many more class-rooms.