Corby Hall Dorm Room, ca. 1915
What is now known as Corby Hall was built during the spring of 1895. It
was intended primarily as a dwelling for the priests engaged in
teaching at the University. It was called the "Professed House." Its
first inhabitants, however, were some of the numerous guests that
flowed into Notre Dame for the Jubilee. After the tumult and the
shouting had died down, the members of the community moved in. By
1899 the student body had grown to such an extent that the community
members had to vacate Corby Hall to make room for the students.
Like Sorin Hall, Corby Hall provided private rooms for older students,
in accordance with the more liberal view that had come to be held at
-- Notre Dame -- One Hundred Years / by
J. Hope, C.S.C.