(Old College -- 1906) "On the Feast of St. Joseph the Brothers' new house of studies was formerly opened. It was named after the Abbe Dujarie, the founder of the Brothers of St. Joseph, (Now of Holy Cross). Brother Leander, c.s.c. has been appointed superior of the six young men who will reside in Dujarie and take classes at the University. The old building, which has been renovated for its present use, was the first one erected here by Father Sorin. Only such changes have been made as were required for the health and convenience of the inmates, the intention being to have the house appear much as it was when first built. It was a happy thought to preserve this building, and by its side to put up a log chapel, which is an exact of the original one occupied by Father Sorin and his brave band of Brothers for a year after their arrival. The statue of St. Joseph is close by standing as protector of the sacred place." SCHOLASTIC, 39:392, 1906
"Both the statue of St. Joseph and its pedestal are gifts from generous friends of the University. This stately little monument was not put up merely to perfect the symmetry of the immediate surroundings. There is a deeper significance attached to its erection. Father Sorin, in the first letter he addressed from Notre Dame to France, emphasized the fact that his new home was 'in the county of St. Joseph, on the banks of the river St. Joseph, not far from the city of St. Joseph.' The log-cabin and the little white house quickly became another Nazareth, with its resident Holy Family. The Saviour has His representative there, Mary was there, and St. Joseph -- his Priests, Sisters and Brothers. In this veritable reproduction of the holy household of Nazareth, St. Joseph was constituted the ruler. The residents were convinced that he was the subject of his royal ancestor's Prophecy; 'He made him head of his house and ruler of all his possession.'"
"And yet, though the priests rightly regarded St. Joseph as a precursor in their sacred ministry, though the Sisters looked to him with Mary as to the guardian of their sacrifice, the Brothers filed a lawful claim when they invoked him as their special patron. They had been founded as 'The Brothers of Saint Joseph'. Their dauntiess hearts and willing hands made possible and even called into existance, the present home of Our Lady of the Lake. Father Sorin recognized the fact when he paid them the following just tribute: 'To clear the ground the Blessed Virgin called from beyond the Atlantic, the Brothers of St. Joseph, rich only in faith and confidence in her protection.'
"The Brothers of St. Joseph were the first to cut their way through the forest to the south shore of St. Mary's lake. They were the first to build a dwelling house on the edge of its frozen waters. They were the pioneers." Rev. James J. Trahoy, SCHOLASTIC, 39:402, 1906
(Catholic Directory -- 1906) "Dujarie Institute..House of Studies for the Brothers of the Congregation of Holy Cross; Brother Aidan, c.s.c., superior. Curriculum of studies embraces commercial course, English, Classical course, special course in general science, drawing, music etc. Professors -- 3; students -- 14. Boys or young men from the age of 14 upwards will have every change here to prepare themselves thoroughly to become religious teachers. The Congregation is in urgent need of vocations to the Brotherhood." 1906
"Insist first and foremost that the Brothers teach their children religious virtues, and that they bring them to the knowledge and love of Jesus Christ . . . Be generous in rewarding your children, for you will never succeed without competition and prizes." Very Reverend Basil Anthony Moreau, LIFE OF FATHER DUJARIE
(First Dujarie Hall, 1906 in first College, 1843; Building became Mission house, 1912) "In the winter of 1845 they moved into the brick house which till then had served as a temporary college building. This house contained three rooms on the first floor; one large room on the whole length of the house, which was used as a clothes room for the priests, Brothers and students; a refectory, and an entrance room. On the second floor was a large dormitory of the same size as that of the clothes room and two small rooms. The chapel was in the cupola (?)." "On the King's Highway", p. 145
Dujarie Hall -- 1911 -- "Father Morrissey back from Europe, every bed in Dujarie now filled." From Dome diary -- 1911