University of Notre Dame

Chronicles of Notre Dame du Lac
Edward Sorin, CSC -- Translated by John M. Toohey, CSC, 1895
pg 61             The chapel and the novitiate were blessed on Dec 8th of this 
Blessed on   same year under the title of the Most Holy and Immaculate Heart 
Dec 8th.     of Mary, and on the same day the Archconfraternity was there 
Archcon-     solemnly established.  On the same day also two Sisters made 
fraternity   their profession: Mary of the Five Wounds, and Mary of Bethlehem, 
established. and one postulant, Mary Coffee, received the habit with F. 
Profession   Moreau's name, Sr. Mary of St. Basil.  
of two            From this time until the end of 1848, when the new church
sisters      was dedicated, this little sanctuary became the favorite spot of 
             the whole house.  There the community assembled in times of 
             distress or of rejoicing; there were published the general 
             prescriptions or regulations in regard to the common welfare; 
             there each year the retreat of the Brothers was made, and even 
             that of the priests.  There also later on (after March 19th, 
             1847) they came to venerate the precious relics, the holy body of 
             St. Severa, presented to this chapel by Mgr. Dela Hailandiere on 
             his return from Rome in 1845; thither also they came to honor the 
             Passion by making the Way of the Cross, which was there 
             canonically erected on March 14th 1845.
                  The following year the same mystery was there recalled in a 

‹—  Sorin's Chronicles  —›