University of Notre Dame

Chronicles of Notre Dame du Lac
Edward Sorin, CSC -- Translated by John M. Toohey, CSC, 1895
pg 62        manner equally touching and eloquent by the erection of the 
Group of the celebrated group of Our Lady of the Seven Dolors given to F. 
Seven Dolors Sorin by Mr. Dubuguay of Paris.  A little later the same chapel 
             was enriched by the Forty Hours, which made of this little 
             enclosure the treasury and centre of all the spiritual privileges 
             and goods of the community.
                  It was thither that the pious visitors of the house were in 
             preference taken; and there the Bishops of Detroit, Milwaukee, 
             and Cincinnati celebrated holy mass, to the great satisfaction 
             of the community and also to their own.  During all this time it 
             is the best thing there was in every respect in the institution.
*Mrs.        Mme. Byerley* had furnished it with a magnificent carpet, and Bro. 
Byerley      Mary (Francis Xavier) had ornamented it with all the resources of 
             his trade.
                  It was thought proper to dwell at some length on this chapel 
             of the novitiate, because during these four years it was the 
             constant object of the religious attentions, or, let us say, of 
             the entire affections of the community.  Where should we stop 
             were we to recount all the favors that each one believed himself 
             to have there received?

‹—  Sorin's Chronicles  —›